Tiggly apps are dedicated to helping parents introduce their children to the digital world in an easy yet educational way. The Tiggly Math set is composed of a collection of three digital applications, and 5 silicone Tiggly Toys that complement and interact directly with the apps on the tablet. The suite of apps is composed of three applications, each teaching a separate concept: Tiggly Addventure (number line), Tiggly Cardtoons (counting), and Tiggly Chef (addition). It is a math toy that interacts with your tablet to make math tangible.
- By tactilely interacting with the shapes and tablet, children are reinforcing the early math concepts taught in the Tiggly Math apps.
- Each app provides opportunities to use creativity and imagination while honing recognition and identification of objects in the app digitally, but also in reality. For example, Tiggly Chef allows children to create and digitally make their own recipes using their newly acquired number skills and food vocabulary.
- The Tiggly Math apps demonstrate cause and effect as touching the screen and incorporating the tangible pieces/Tiggly Toys causes animated reactions on the tablet.
- Kids can practice sorting and categorization by counting objects in the community—how many fire hydrants, birds, bikes, strollers, etc. can be spotted while on a walk or a drive in the car?
- Create cut out pieces from cardboard, paper and other recyclables to recreate some of the characters in the Tiggly Cardtoons app—owl, scarecrow, truck, etc.
- Try to count by multiples of 2, 3, 4 and 5 to practice higher level math skills.
- The recording feature on Tiggly Chef allows kids to record their reactions to the fun creations! This allows them to practice expressive (output) and receptive (input) communication skills.
- Vocabulary is enhanced as children are exposed math concepts, but also introduced to a variety of new words such as different foods.
- The upbeat songs and directional noises support kids during play, but can also inspire verbalization and vocalization through song.
- Speak in your best Tiggly Chef accent when helping caregivers cook in the kitchen or while playing pretend!
- Turn the sound off on the app or mute the smart device. Have the child recite/explain the directions for each section of the game before interacting with the app.
- Fine motor skills are reinforced as children practice various grasps (pincer, tripod and whole hand) as they pick up and manipulate the Tiggly Toys to place them on the screen.
- Hand-eye coordination is encouraged as kids either use their finger to activate the on screen actions or align the Tiggly Toy to the corresponding images on the screen.
- Precision and finger/hand dexterity are honed as kids align the Tiggly Toy to the corresponding images on the screen.
- Caregiver can act like the Tiggly Chef character and ask the child to drop in 3 lemons, 4 mushrooms or 5 blueberries while cooking. Cooking in the kitchen should always be supervised by an adult!
- Create your own felt characters like the ones in Tiggly Addventure. Cutting, stringing, gluing and adding buttons and pompoms hone fine motor skills.
- Make a growth chart that mimics the Tiggly Addventure ladder. Kids can practice measurement in inches meters to expand their math skills. How tall are you?